1. Completed application with $5.00 application fee is REQUIRED in order for the band to be eligible to audition. All eligible bands will be notified via email or phone regarding receipt of their completed application. The application must have the full names of each band member that would be competing on event date. No changes unless otherwise arranged.
2. The majority of band members must be between ages of 15-25.
3. Only a total of 5 bands will compete.
4. All bands will be given a scheduled time for sound check included in the email confirmation.
1. Once the application process has closed on Sunday June 24th, 2012, the top 10 applicants will be subjected to an online vote. Thereby giving the Producer (Y57 Media) to use music sent as part of the application process on the website (www.y57.ca) or for on air promotion of the event.
2. The online voting period will take place between July 3rd and July 15th, 2012.
3. The top five (5) bands that register the most votes during the online voting process will be selected as part of the final event and be announced on air during the July 23rd, 2012 Y57 program on 102.7 FM Coop Radio.
1. All bands need to arrive on schedule prior to the competition start for sound check of basic setup or may forfeit their right to compete. Check in at registration area to pick up performance time for competition. The following will be provided:
a. One Guitar Amp
b. One Bass Amp
c. One Base Drum Kit (Kick Drum, High Toms, Floor Toms)
2. Event will start at 6PM sharp.
3. Setup: There will be 5 minutes for setup and 5 minutes for take-down. Each band has 20 minutes for their set, excluding 5 minutes for setup and 5 minutes for take-down. Any extra setup time will take away from your set time itself.
4. Extra equipment will be available on event date, as long as there has been an arrangement in advance (Extra instruments, cords, etc.)
1. The Producer (Y57 Media) will select the judges for the judging panel, who will represent the music, entertainment and media industry. There will be up to five judges represented on the judging panel.
2. The order of the performance will be determined by random selection process during the designated venue check-in time of each band contestant. The contestants will be given their performance order 30 minutes prior to the start of the competition.
3. The overall performance category of the judging criteria will allow for scoring reductions for profanity and overtly sexually explicit material.
4. Three (3) points will be deducted from the combined total score for each minute infraction the band contestant goes over time.
1. All stage props must be approved by PRODUCER two (2) weeks prior to the competition. No band contestants are allowed to call the venue for any reason. No fire products will be allowed. All staging requests/requirements must be submitted to PRODUCER in writing, immediately following application confirmation.
Overall Competition Practice
1. PRODUCER honors the privacy and confidentiality of its clients and competitors. We will not share any information about contestants with other contestants. This includes information about performance order, music demos, etc.
2. If a band member is found to be grossly un-sportsmanlike, involved in poor behaviour of any altercation causing a disruption to the competition, these actions will result in the entire band roster being immediately disqualified.
1. PRODUCER agrees to plan, organize and execute a competition and the Contestant understands and agrees to compete in the band competition until elimination.
2. The Band Leader or Signer of the performance agreements takes full responsibility to maintain open communication with the PRODUCER, including written, phone and/or email correspondence, from registration inception until elimination from competition.
3. The Band Contestant agrees to read & complete the performance agreement in its entirety without altering or defacing the agreement. The Contestant acknowledges that if there is any false information, agreement alteration or misrepresentation discovered by PRODUCER, the performance agreement becomes null & void immediately. All pending registrations are also subject to revocation and/or cancellation. Note: Incomplete performance agreements will not be accepted or processed.
4. The Band Showcase Winner will be awarded the designated prize earnings:
5. Sound system adjustments will be made and remain at the same setting throughout each band performance with the exception of feedback adjustments by the official sound technician only.
1. PRODUCER reserves the right to amend the rules based on the competition and/or circumstances.
Competition Judging Criteria
Disclaimer: According to the Judges’ decisions, the winner will be announced at the end of the event. The Judges’ decisions are final.
Agreement: When entering the Battle of the Bands, participant(s) agree to allow Y57 the right to obtain photographs, DVDs and video recordings of the competitions that can be used by Y57 without compensation.
Photography & Video Recording: Flash photography is NOT permitted during performances. Flash is allowed only before and after performances. Y57 will provide an official videographer for each of the performances.
By entering this competition, competitors in the competition indicates the acceptance of any risks such as sprains, bruises, pulled muscles and broken bones. Therefore by virtue of registering for this event, it is agreed that participants will not hold Y57 liable; Battle of the Bands or its members and staff responsible for injuries sustained or illnesses contracted by them while in attendance and/or participating in any activity related to the Y57 Battle of the Bands Competition.
Y57 Media and the hosting facility are not responsible for personal injury to either contestants or spectators. Youth in 57 Minutes is not responsible for lost or stolen property.
Click here for a PDF version of the 2012 Battle of the Bands Rules and Regulations